TalkEnglish Forums

Community for English Learners
  HOME   |    FORUMS   |    INSTRUCTIONS   |    STUDY METHOD   |    FAQs
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I'm glad to be a member!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:12 am 

Hi Steve and members of the TalkEnglish Forum

I'm a new member and above all I would like to tell you that I'm thankful that I discovered the site a few days ago.

In June 2007, I started learning English by myself. I started by listening for hours to English podcasts every single day. I love it and my listening skills grow slowly up with time. Then, I started reading and writing. As I had a lot of pleasure to do so, I noticed progress after practicing enormously. It wasn't hard work at all. I perfectly knew how to improve and I enjoyed the process.

I've never studied grammar rules or tried to translate. The reason is that I'm German and when I moved to France, I've learnt French in a naturally way. I wasn't surrounded by German people and I was forced to learn the language by listening, trying to repeat and speak the foreign language. It wasn't easy at all but I knew if ever I would like to learn English, I would like to learn it in the same way, I did with French, without school, grammar or translation.

I really love listening, writing and reading in English but speaking wasn't my goal. As I'm not living in an English speaking country things are different as when I moved to France.

A few months ago, I changed my mind and I realized how important it is to communicate with other by voice. Actually, I really have the desire to speak... but I can't.

I'm not surprised. I've never made any effort.

After I read Steve's instructions, I found the perfect guide how to learn speaking English. All is crystal clear and I haven't any question.
It will be very hard work but now I know how to do.

I'll practice everyday exactly the way Steve recommends to do.

I'll not lose time with a method that doesn't work. That's very important.

Now, it's my turn!

Steve, you did all your best to give me a hand by creating this method. I'll follow every precious advice you give.
I'll come back here regularly to read posts and I'll keep in touch informing you about my progress...

Thanks a million! :)

Bettina

Post subject: Re: I'm glad to be a member!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:31 pm 

Hi Bettina,

Thank you for your nice compliments. I hope that many people can learn how to speak English fluently.

I just wanted to follow up with how things are going for you. Is your English speaking improving? By looking at your writing skills, I am certain you will be speaking English fluently in no time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:35 am 

Hi Steve, :)

Thank you so much for your comment. I'm really impressed and glad that you took a few minutes to reply.

I'm doing pretty well and my speaking skills improve. Sure, it's slow work but that's normal because I decided not to go too fast.
Your method is a fascinating experience and I don't get bored.

I'm listening and repeating day after day. I even got used listening to my voice which was the most difficult task.
I would lie if I tell you that I imitate your pronunciation perfectly but it starts to sound acceptable. I don't lose heart. ;)

I'm always struggling with the "R" and "L" sound but it's a matter of small importance and I'll go over this problem !
I don't expect an overnight change!
I continue to repeat out loud until I feel comfortable before starting the next lesson.

So long

Bettina

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:37 am 

hi german i liked you way to learning english ;) .
i will do like you did :D .