HOME   |    FORUMS   |    INSTRUCTIONS   |    STUDY METHOD   |    FAQs
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Study Method TalkEnglish
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:10 am 

For Regular English, Business English, and Travel English

1. Start from the first lesson
2. Click on each sentence and listen to it
3. Repeat after each individual sentence. Listen and repeat until you master the sentence
4. After a series of lessons, you will see an Interactive Conversation Practice Lesson
5. Listen to the real life conversation by clicking on the Listen All button
6. Keep listening to it until you are very comfortable with both Person A and Person B
7. When you are ready, become Person A or Person B by clicking on the buttons
8. All the interactive conversations are native speed. If it is too fast for you, click on the pause button for practice
9. After you practice several times, you can practice without the pause button and speak like a native

I do not understand the method of study. I have tried to learn as written but when I have to speak to speak I do not remember the words. How can I improve. I have to learn by heart the sentences or do I have to repeat and repeat sentences? I have read on the web that polyglots study the phrases, I ask myself the right method.

Post subject: Re: Study Method TalkEnglish
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:00 am 

Hi,

The study method posted on that page is primarily to show the method on how to use talkenglish.com for each of the different sections. It does not go into details such as best methodologies for vocabulary retention, how to read more efficiently, how to comprehend sentences, etc. If we discussed all that on a single page, nobody would read it because it would be too long.

What you mentioned is a good topic and many people have the same problem. We should all share our ideas on what works for each of us so we can learn from each other.

I'll start. First, in my study method, I mention to listen and repeat. Repeat means to say it out loud by following what you hear. Also, when I say you should become person A in the interactive dialogs, you should say it out loud as well. The purpose of this is very important. When you learn a new word, things are happening in the brain. You look up the definition of the word, but most people soon forget the word. This is very common. But if you say the word out loud, you are creating more relationships in the brain from the definition you learned to the speaking part of the brain that controls the sounds you make. Also, when you speak it, you can hear it. This also creates a new connection in the brain that is connecting the auditory part of the brain to the definition you learned and the speaking portion of the brain. Finally, when you use it in a sentence during practice, you are using the words in actual sentences with other words that provide additional meaning and understanding of the word.

If the word you are learning is on a table in the brain, learning the definition is creating one leg of the table. When a table has one leg, it will fall down. In other words, you will forget it. But if you say it out loud, listen to it, and use it in sentences in a dialog, three other legs will be created for that table in the brain. A table with 4 legs will not fall as easy as the table with 1 leg.

People have a hard time remembering vocabulary because they do not use it and they do not say it out loud. I kept the study method very simple, but if you follow it, you will see better results than any other method.

For everyone else, feel free to share your thoughts on this matter.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:14 am 

I do agree with Mr. Kim. I believe repetition is one of the keys in learning a language. Remember when you were just a baby? You don't know any words by heart but every time you hear a word, you tend to copy it. The more you use a word, a phrase or a sentence, the more your brain get used to processing it, thus making it easy for you to say it without thinking so much. And by saying repetition, what i mean is, in everything that you do, you should try to apply what you've learned whether it is just a single word, simple greetings or an advance topic. Another thing that you should consider is finding someone you are comfortable talking to using the language you are trying to learn. But sometimes it's really hard to find someone who has the same level of interest specially when you didn't grow up in an English speaking environment, which is also my problem even now. What I do is, I take advantage of SNS(s) (Social Networking Services) which is very popular these days unlike way back when calling or meeting someone were the only options if you want to have a meaningful conversation. Forums in English websites like this are also helpful because its main purpose is to give information to those who really want to learn a language. Plus, you can be corrected by a native speaker or by a professional teacher like Mr. Kim. Well, to tell you honestly, I do prefer having a real life conversation because my goal is to sound natural when speaking. Another key is emphasis. Say everything out loud like it's the first time you speak in English. This sounded a bit exaggerated for me at first but the purpose is for you to hear your voice clearly and we tend to say things naturally when we put emotions to it like when we're happy or mad. Another advice i could give you is be spontaneous and don't be afraid to make mistakes. As I have observed, a lot of native speakers prefer talking to someone who reply spontaneously because it makes them feel they are understood. Even native speakers commit mistakes in grammars and they don't put too much attention to it as long as you understand what they mean. And lastly, you need to have the correct tools / materials which is included in the 5 rules of speaking fluency. Try to go back and read it. It can be a big help to you. I'm gonna list some of the tools that might be useful in learning a language.

1. flash cards
-Write any topic or questions on one side and give an example answer on the other side. Try to answer spontaneously. Say whatever comes to your mind and try to record it using your......

2. smart phone voice recorder. Or if you don't have one try buying a voice recorder. Listen to it. Try to correct yourself. Do it over and over again with different topic / questions.

3. Talkenglish app is available and very handy to those who are tech savvy.

4. NOTES.. Too macho for taking down notes? go get that notebook! write everything that you have learned so far in talkenglish.com. This is very important so that you can go back to the lessons just in case your phone app isn't working or you don't have a phone app at all. Plus, you can add your own notes and write down every ideas for effective learning.

I'm not saying this will be 100% effective but as an English language learner myself, I would like to share these things that so far have been a great help to me in studying the English language. Go find whatever method that works for you, and if you've found it. Stick to it. Don't go hard on yourself. Enjoy ^_^

Good luck on your studies. I hope someday we will both be fluent in English. Kudos to us for doing our best :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:26 am 

Laarni, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this subject. I agree with your comments. Also, looking at your writing, I believe you are doing a great job and you are probably very good at English now.

For everyone, although this post is long please read it because it will help.