TalkEnglish Forums

Community for English Learners
  HOME   |    FORUMS   |    INSTRUCTIONS   |    STUDY METHOD   |    FAQs
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What is your biggest fear about speaking English?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:59 pm 

What is your biggest fear about speaking English?

I am an ESL teacher working on a research project about why students feel so nervous about speaking English and I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thank you for your help,

Post subject: Re: What is your biggest fear about speaking English?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:14 pm 

kbee888 wrote:

I am an ESL teacher working on a research project about why students feel so nervous about speaking English and I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thank you for your help,

hi i am marcus bolt. i cant speak english my fear is when i speak i forget the words and then complete my sentence. so some has not understand what i am speaking. so can you help me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:50 pm 

boltmarcus86 wrote:
kbee888 wrote:

Thank you for your help,

hi i am marcus bolt. i cant speak english my fear is when i speak i forget the words and then complete my sentence. so some has not understand what i am speaking. so can you help me.

Hi Marcus, thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my survey. I really appreciate your feedback. Many of my students feel the same way that you do. They want to speak absolutely perfectly and feel stressed when they make mistakes. I think that all of the standardized tests have made people extremely anxious about their speaking and oral grammar. But, actually, it is important to remember that communication and connection with another person are the main goals of speaking. Frankly, the average native speaker doesn't care that much about perfect grammar and most won't even notice small mistakes. I hear native speakers make small mistakes all the time and even forget vocabulary (completely understandable when a language has 500,000 words!)

I would really like to encourage you to take chances and be brave because you will learn the most from your mistakes. The more you practice, make some mistakes and learn from them, the faster you will improve. Thank you again for your feedback. Kerry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:29 am 

Hi, I am Ardra from India
I always fear about vocabulary and grammar, especially when I speak to office meeting.
I wish to use idiom and phrases while taking, but i always forgetting it when required.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:14 pm 

ardra wrote:
Hi, I am Ardra from India
I always fear about vocabulary and grammar, especially when I speak to office meeting.
I wish to use idiom and phrases while taking, but i always forgetting it when required.

Hello Ardra,
Thank you so much for responding to my survey question. I completely understand that there can be a lot of fear about trying to remember new vocabulary and idioms when speaking. I wonder if you have one small advantage when speaking to an office meeting - perhaps you know in advance what the agenda will be? It can be very helpful to think about what your key message is for each point on the agenda and practice and rehearse it a little bit ahead of time. Even native speakers try to prepare beforehand for meetings and mentally rehearse the main items they want to say. Perhaps that is one small strategy you can try before your next office meeting. I wish you the best of luck with your speaking endeavours and thank you again for taking the time to respond.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:54 am 

Hi

I believe i am lacking to have articulation of thought in english , that why i forgot words to speak at times and feel that person before me might get feel disconnected and might not get what i suppose to convey , i generally start from start as early as possible for me to present my thoughts in another simpler way , please suggest how can i improve on the same . Any suggestion have welcome here .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:47 am 

Hi! I'm Federica.
My biggest fear is the same Marcus told before.
I want really bad to say the exact words in my head and then .. I get stuck!! It's hard to think in a language so different from mine but also a good challenge :)

Quote:
I think that all of the standardized tests have made people extremely anxious about their speaking and oral grammar.

I couldn't agree more.
I think schools are the major responsable of this strange situation! They should encourage speaking with other people. In contrast they make students study all of those grammatical rules (they are necessary of course but not the only things).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:40 pm 

The biggest fear is that what other people will think about us.
We think about other that they will make fun of us. Better we need to focus on us instead of others