TalkEnglish Forums

Community for English Learners
  HOME   |    FORUMS   |    INSTRUCTIONS   |    STUDY METHOD   |    FAQs
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Check for my errors
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:16 pm 

Hi Steve,

Kindly check this sentence if they are well written.

Like me I find it hard sometimes to put some words together both in writing and speaking, the aspect I don’t really like is the pronunciation aspect, sometimes I find it difficult to pronounce some words correctly or let me say fluently, but I’m really working on it because I want to be a good speaker.

Post subject: Re: Check for my errors
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:59 am 

It is hard to correct sentences for English learners because every one is at a different level. I will do my best to correct this sentence, but you will have to study more to learn how to avoid these problems.

Your sentence:

Like me I find it hard sometimes to put some words together both in writing and speaking, the aspect I don’t really like is the pronunciation aspect, sometimes I find it difficult to pronounce some words correctly or let me say fluently, but I’m really working on it because I want to be a good speaker.

My corrected version:

I find it hard sometimes to put some words together in both writing and speaking. The aspect I don't really like is the pronunciation aspect. Sometimes I find it difficult to pronounce words correctly. At other times, I find it difficult to choose the correct words that prevents me from saying something fluently. However, I am really working on it because I want to be a good English speaker.

Problems:

1) You have one very long sentence that is a run-on sentence. This can be broken down into 4 different sentences. Good writers do not need to write long sentences. They need to be cohesive and coherent in their ideas.
2) A couple of words and phrases are not used properly. "Like me" - you don't need this and "let me say fluently" - improperly used.
3) There are many conjunctions that can be used. Look into studying conjunctions when starting sentences to join it with the previous sentence (i.e. however)

Additional comments:

Your writing is not that bad. I can understand everything you are trying to say. You only have to polish up some mechanical problems. I believe you have a really strong chance at becoming a great English communicator!

Post subject: Re: Check for my errors
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:20 pm 

Dear Steve,

Thank you very much for your response, I will work on the highlighted mistakes.