TalkEnglish Forums

Community for English Learners
  HOME   |    FORUMS   |    INSTRUCTIONS   |    STUDY METHOD   |    FAQs
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Confidence in English
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:28 pm 

I get a lot of email saying they cannot speak because of confidence. Because this is an important topic, I wanted to share my advice with everyone.

Let me start with my personal experience. When I used to work for Microsoft, I was asked a question by a high level manager. Although I knew the answer in my head, I didn't have every detail to speak about it. Even though I can speak English fluently, I was shaking, mumbling, making simple mistakes, and didn't sound like I can speak at all. Therefore, although I am a native speaker, I was still unable to speak because I lacked confidence in my knowledge and the fact that I was talking to a high level manager. However, if I had all the knowledge, I wouldn't be so nervous and I would have the confidence to speak clearly.

To get to the point, the main problem people do not speak is because of confidence. However, confidence comes when you know how to say something. Therefore, practice a situation until you can say it without thinking about it. Then when you are really in that situation, you will feel confident to say it.

Most people study only the listening section. They do not practice speaking because it sounds funny talking to yourself. Because many people do not have people to practice with, they just don't practice the speaking part.

I highly recommend that you practice speaking to yourself. Pretend you are in a dialog and practice what you want to say in a given scenario. There are over 100 interactive practice dialogues in www.talkenglish.com. You can use them to practice your speaking.

Once you are able to say a sentence without thinking about it, you will gain confidence in any situation. For example, if someone says, "Hi, what is your name." I'm sure you can confidently answer, "My name is..." Therefore, I encourage you to study diligently and you will learn English and gain confidence to speak English fluently.

Post subject: Re: Confidence in English
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:48 pm 

Thanks for the great advice Steve Sir,
I want to add one more point here ....
If we try to speak in front of mirror then our confidence will increase because we get a real situation of speaking with someone.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:09 pm 

True. Confidence is really a big deal when trying to speak your mind. Eventhough how much you know about a certain topic, if you lack the confidence to speak up, there's a big possibility that you will be stuttering during the whole conversation or speech. I'm currently working on how to deal with it. Most of my professional friends say that I have to face and accept rejection like I have nothing to lose. But of course, I should also try my very best until the end. I told them, "it's easy to say but hard to do" and they replied, "Nobody said it's going to be easy. The question is, when do you plan to start?". That's when i realized, I have to do something about it.

Speaking of experience, when I applied for my first job and it was my turn to speak during the interview, I was very nervous that I forgot all the things I've practiced and I ended up speaking in vernacular. At first the interviewer was very disappointed and I got reprimanded. He asked me to try again. Thanks to his pushy attitude, I manage to speak up. Maybe because of my determination, I passed the final interview and eventually got the job. But I was not happy with my performance. I kept thinking on what do I lack. I mean, I know for sure that I'm good at what I do and how easily I can adjust in any working environment. Obviously confidence is one big issue. But I don't think it's only that. It's because I don't use the language everyday. I only practiced because I needed to apply for a job. And I'm not confident about the learning materials that I used.

Now that I've found out about talkenglish.com, I see to it that I practice at least 30 minutes a day. Starting with the basics first and then all the way to advance topic. So far, I'm enjoying it because I don't have to worry about grammar so much. You can also try the 30 minutes study habit. And let me know how it affects your speaking skills. START NOW. :) Let's go!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:42 pm 

Here's a video of Dr. Ivan Joseph talking about "self-confidence", It goes for everyone, whether you're learning how to play soccer, learning a new a language, learning how to cook, etc. He also mentioned about "repetition" which is very essential in building self-confidence. I hope you'll enjoy it.

here's the link >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-HYZv6HzAs&feature=youtu.be&noredirect=1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:10 pm 

Thank you Steve for your good advice. It´s true,I´m missing confidence in my english too. But I wanna tell my story when I surprised even myself. I always learn english by writing, I communicate with other people by messages and emails. I´m listening to people speaking english so I know how to say words, I know pronunciation. My problem is that I feel like shy to talk. Maybe it sounds funny, but that´s true. Few days ago I had job interview. One part of interview I had in english language because the company needs to know my english skills. They asked me to try to answer their questions in english. I didnt know how I will act, but I just started to speak and answer their questions in english. I really so much wanna this job and I knew I can impress the most with language because it´s an international company so language skills are needed. I surprised myself .... as I hear myself speaking..... I felt like under pressure and I knew I have to speak because I badly want this job .....
I felt like winning the championship when manager said: " If I decide to give you this job, you need communicate with customers mostly in english language and I can see that´s no problem for you. "
:)